Monday 25 January 2010

Argus


This was just a bit of fun really. I decided to place a personal ad in the Argus. The poem links in with this idea of all these lonely people trying to reach out to each other through this bizarre medium. No man is an island was perfect for this. 
(since posting it 2 weeks ago, I have had about 8 responses. I would check them, but they want to charge me £1.50 per response, which is ridiculous. I am debating as to wether or not to splash out, just in case one of them is something interesting. At the moment my poverty is outweighing my curiosity).

The full poem: 

John Donne - No Man is an Island

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friends's or of thine own were. 

Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind. And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee. 


Image and explanation and full poem. 
Intention for next phase of project. Invite people to comment and suggest. 

2 comments:

  1. This one is my favourite. I think if you get rich you should definitely look them up. I also think this is the most original of the ideas. I could imagine reading this lonely hearts in a newspaper and this really making me smile. Good work Bronwyn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci Poppy : )
    I checked one of them, some random person but not very interesting. Not worth £1.50.

    ReplyDelete